Mobile and Responsive Website Design
Mobile websites are created by Responsive Design or Mobile Templates. Responsive design is a process that makes your existing website coded to adapt to all screen sizes and devices. A mobile template is a separate entity, requiring you to have a second mobile only website or sub-domain. Mobile templates are also built for each specific, not per screen size.
Responsive Design serves the same HTML for one URL and uses CSS media queries to determine how the content is rendered on the client side. This removes the possible glitches of user-agent detection and frees users from redirects. This is Google’s recommended configuration.
Benefits of Responsive Design
- Using a single URL for a piece of content makes it easier for your users to interact with, share, and link to your content, and a single URL for the content helps Google’s algorithms assign the indexing properties for the content.
- No redirection is needed for users to get to the device-optimized view, which reduces loading time.
- It saves resources for both your site and search engine crawlers. For Google, this improvement in crawling efficiency can indirectly help Google index more of the site’s contents.
- Non responsive websites can be converted to responsive sites without changing their look and feel.
- Non responsive WordPress websites can be converted with a simple Plugin and about 2 hours labour.
Separate Mobile URLs
The reason you might consider going with a Mobile site is if your website is large and contains images and videos that may not resize well. The mobile site can give a more interactive user experience. In the Mobile configuration, each desktop URL has an equivalent different URL serving mobile-optimized content. A common setup would be pages on www.sample.com serving desktop users having corresponding m.sample.com pages serving mobile users.
The downside of a Mobile site is that it can get expensive to build and maintain and could dilute domain and hurt organic search traffic. It can also add to website management because you have to maintain two separate streams of content. Because a mobile site uses a separate domain, links shared from mobile browsers will not count as search link equity toward your primary site.
Regardless of Whether You go Responsive or Go Mobile the following report by Google reinforces the need to get “Mobilized”
June 2013 – Google rolled out new search ranking changes that will effectively reduce the ranking of websites that aren’t yet optimized for the small screen.
“To improve the search experience for smartphone users and address their pain points, we plan to roll out several ranking changes in the near future that address sites that are misconfigured for smartphone users,” an announcement on Google’s Webmaster Central Blog reads.
“Try to test your site on as many different mobile devices and operating systems, or their emulators, as possible, including testing the videos included on your site. Doing so will improve the mobile web, make your users happy, and allow searchers to experience your content fully.”
Google Report – Our Mobile Planet: Canada – “Understanding the Mobile Consumer”
May 2013 Link to PDF
Businesses that make Responsive or Mobile Websites a central part of their strategy will benefit from the opportunity to engage the new constantly connected consumer.
- Smartphone penetration has risen from 33% ( Q1 2012) to 56% (Q1 2013) of the population in just one year and these smartphone owners are becoming increasingly reliant on their devices.
- 66% access the Internet every day on their smartphone.
- 89% of smartphone users look for local information on their phone and 88% take action as a result, such as making a purchase or contacting the business.
- 77% of users have researched a product or service on their device, with 27% having made a purchase on their phone;
- mobile ads are noticed by 87% of smartphone users.
- 51% have performed a search on their smartphone after seeing an offline ad.
With smartphone usage growing, it’s becoming more and more beneficial to have mobile optimized sites as well as a strong social presence.
Social Web Media Mobile / Respsonive Services
- Custom WordPress Sites we design are 100% Responsive
- OR Transform your exisiting non-responsive WordPress site
Maybe you don’t even know if your site is responsive. Don’t worry we can do an complimentary audit of your site!